Welcome to my musings

'To recognise Buddha in the eyes of each person we meet is to engage with another who silently calls upon us to respond to her Buddhanature.' (Stephen Batchelor 2004 Living with the Devil)

Thursday 9 September 2010

Now I have started......

Rifling through bits of paper with random quotes and notes for my dissertation, (which I should be writing now - my blog is my new displacement activity),  I found the quote from Stephen Batchelor for my strap line. It is a truly beautiful concept and to put it into practice requires mindfulness and compassion.  Please do not think I am claiming that I am able to do this at all times! Lets just say I put a lot of effort into trying.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Marilyn dear friend and Warrior Woman!!
    If you get this twice it is because it is not easy. Here is the Goethe quote, it has inspired me for years, particularly when I falter. I first saw it on the kitchen wall of the building in which I did my very first Core Process weekend, and thereby hangs a tale..........! And had I not been there, and subsequently committed, we would not have met - so you see, it works!
    ‘Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation) there is one elemental truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans -- that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves all. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.’
    Namaste,
    Ede Wounded Healer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was an undergraduate (back in the Dark Ages), I was 'tasked' by a Dominican friar to walk from their House at Blackfriars, along the road to Carfax (this is in Oxford) and to say to myself, looking at each person as I passed them, "I see Christ in you". I managed to get half-way and had to sit for half-an-hour on the steps of the Martyrs' Memorial to regain my balance. It is one of the 'peak experiences' of my life.

    ReplyDelete